What can I say?! Who doesn’t love Charlie Brown!? The Great Pumpkin Patch! A Charlie Brown Christmas! The Peanuts Gang is a great group of characters to needle felt too! To date, I have only made Charlie Brown, Snoopy and Linus. (see gallery photos) The Peanuts gang are definitely on my list of characters to needle felt!
Here is some interesting trivia about Charles Schultz’s characters I came across on the internet!
- Charlie Brown was named after a co-worker at the Art Instruction Inc.
- Like Charlie Brown’s parents, Schulz’s father was a barber and his mother a housewife.
- Like Charlie Brown, Schulz admitted in interviews that he’d often felt shy and withdrawn in his life.
- Schulz had a dog when he was a boy, reportedly a rather intelligent one at that. Although this dog was a pointer, and not a beagle such as Snoopy, family photos of the dog confirm a certain physical resemblance.
- References to Snoopy’s brother Spike living outside of Needles, California were likely influenced by the few years (1928–1930) that the Schulz family lived there; they had moved to Needles to join other family members who had relocated from Minnesota to tend to an ill cousin.
- Schulz’s inspiration for Charlie Brown’s unrequited love to the Little Red-Haired Girl was Donna Mae Johnson, an Art Instruction Inc. accountant with whom he fell in love. When Schulz finally proposed to her in June 1950, shortly after he’d made his first contract with his syndicate, she turned him down and married another man.
- Linus and Shermy were both named for good friends of his (Linus Maurer and Sherman Plepler, respectively).
- Peppermint Patty was inspired by Patricia Swanson, one of his cousins on his mother’s side. Schulz devised the character’s name when he saw peppermint candies in his house.